Sunday, July 28, 2013

Blueberry Banana Muffin - Grain, Nut, Egg and Dairy Free!

Blueberry Banana Muffin

Yes - I was searching for a muffin that was egg free first and foremost due to Hashimoto's and the realization I cannot have eggs.  So it also needed to be pale-fied!!  

So, after searching and coming up with nothing I created my own!  Since this doesn't have egg the muffin will sink, but still tasted delish straight from the frig this morning on my way to a run!


The bottom photo is after it settled and came out of the frig.  It would be totally great with coconut butter and slightly warmed!


The recipe!!  Makes 6 muffins!

1 banana - mashed
2 tbs coconut flour
1/3 c arrowroot flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cider vinegar
cinnamon - as much as you like
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c coconut oil
1/2 (ish) c coconut milk
1 pint blueberries - fresh

Preheat oven to 350.  The easiest way to blend everything evenly is to place in a food processor, minus the blueberries.  You are looking for a muffin batter consistency, so you may need to adjust the amount of coconut milk.  Fold in blueberries.

Distribute into each muffin lined cup and bake for 16 to 22 minutes.

Remember they will come out puffy and then sink when cooled.

Let me know if you play around with this recipe and have any great successes and changes that will make this even better!


4 comments:

  1. Do you think applesauce would work in place of the banana? I was thinking of subbing a ripe plantain (I did this successfully for a pastry) since it is a similar texture but would like to use applesauce if it won't make the result "gummy". What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be a great replacement! I would cut the amount back since applesauce is a little more on the "watery" side. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to more recipes like this so do please keep sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these and they were an epic failure…I am so disappointed :( They are complete mush and I baked them for 20 minutes and there is at least a 1/2 inch of oil in the bottom of each muffin space. I was really excited about these but they are inedible and I wasted an entire pint of organic blueberries….Any advice or suggestions as to what could have gone wrong? I followed your directions exactly. Thanks

    ReplyDelete